Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

The world we live in

Today I went hiking up to Stewart falls with a close friend of mine. But, we never made it to the falls. A glimpse from about 5 minutes away was the closest we could get. My friend, on a particularly rocky part of the hike, slipped and fell, skinning her knee pretty badly. So, we hobbled back to the car. Along the way though I found out something interesting: people are very kind. I hear all too often about child abusers, murders and fraud that sometimes my vision is the opposite of rose-colored glasses. In fact, I believe that sometimes my vision of the world becomes so clouded that I miss the beautiful things in my life. A girl gave us her water to rinse off the wound, many people stopped to help and a policeman checked my friend's leg to make sure nothing was wrong (his wife still said we needed to go to the hospital. We weren't that worried). There are good people in the world. Most of the people we met along our hike we polite and cheerful, even near the end. One man, as we stopped to take his picture, asked if we were BYU students. I responded, "yes sir", to which he asked, "You must be from the South. Georgia, right?" I'm glad us southerners are still known for our hospitality.

No comments: