Pages

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

What I learned from my Piano

Today, I was playing the piano (now that finals are OVER) and I had some Colbie Calliat music on pause on my computer. For some reason, it decided to start playing again. I continued to play the piano because no was in the house to hear the clashing dissonance of my "abide with me medley" and Colbie's "I do". However I noticed something interesting. I couldn't concentrate on the music in front of me. I was losing my place like crazy. Also, I suddenly sped up, trying to keep the tempo in perfect time with Colbie's music (let me tell you, they are not the same tempo at all). My little analytical mind got going and I realized that this connects so well to our lives. When we let the worldly things in our lives take over, it is not only the fact that we can not hear the things of the spirit, but we can not focus on what we ARE being told. We know we can hear something, a spot of direction hear and there, but for some reason we are losing part of the communication. Simply and purify our lives.

Also, sometimes we try and get our lives to match perfectly with the lives of the world while still desiring to hear the song of redeeming grace. We are asked to sacrifice the things of the world, which ultimately means sin, for the things of the Gospel. By tuning in to the spirit, we may still hear murmurs of the world around us, but we can definitely hear the music of the spirit.

Lastly, I seriously made a mistake while playing that piece today. It was awful and jarring, terrifying seeing as I have to play in church on Sunday. But, because I was practicing for the actual musical number, I kept going and finished the piece. My favorite time in music is the end when all you do is listen to the silence and soak in what has just been expressed. For just a moment, I hold my breathe, savoring the last note. But you know what? The song was still beautiful. Even with that jarring mistake. That is a metaphor for our lives. We may make jarring mistakes, but as we move forward and repent, God will allow us to have a beautiful and glorious ending that we will look back on with awe and wonderment.

No comments: