Pages

Saturday, June 9, 2012

This is my BYU education

I'm finishing up my Music Civilization class notes (Last GE, thank-you). As with all exams, I go through my notes and make flash cards. I'm glad I made "special notes" for this class... a list of quotes from my teacher. Hope everyone else finds them as funny as I did:

"Hey! We're kissing in Triple Time!" This came after the discussion of fair phyllis, an Italian Madrigal. Our professor was telling us about how he had a graduate student who was obsessed with realizing musical rhythms in everyday life. At one point this graduate told our professor about how he was kissing his wife, thought about it stopped kissing her and said the above statement.

"But if I'm every too hard on my students, you can always hope I contract stage four ovarian cancer". My professor showed us clips of the movie Wit (It is now on my summer watch list). In the movie a professor of John Donne poems contracts this kind of cancer and few people show her sympathy because she was such a harsh teacher. Some people say that Dr. Howard, my professor, is too hard and therefore he says that you can always pray for bad things... Kind of like
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atBg9zLI2bA

"You poor altos, you never get the guy. You always get jilted." We were talking about how the sopranos and the tenors sing together in order to try and make it sound like a mom and her son, and the sopranos and the tenors sing together to sound like a wife and a husband. Dr. Howard even pointed out how sometimes the altos will sing with the soprano, if the tenor can not get high enough on the tenor line. But the altos never get the guy. :(

No comments: