Pages

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Sheep and blessings

We all know the song. "When I'm worried, and I can't sleep, I count my blessings instead of sheep." Since I've been home I haven't been sleeping as well as usual. It takes me longer to fall asleep and I can't seem to stay asleep. This morning, for example, I woke up kind of startled (I felt as if I'd been woken up by a nightmare that I couldn't remember) and checked my phone. 5:56. 5:56?! Who wakes up that early anyways. So, I tried to count sheep. Sheep run awfully fast and so I couldn't keep up. I tried counting blessings, but that got my mind too worked up.

So, I began to recite The Family: A Proclamation to the World. This is a document given by our prophet, Gordon B. Hinckley, who passed away a few years ago. However it still holds many truths. It teaches us that we have purpose in life, that we are children of God, that the family is central to the plan,  that gender is an essential characteristic of eternal identity, that marriage is between a man and a woman and that children are a special blessing. While it didn't help me sleep it helped me remember that although hard things are ahead, the Lord is right there beside us. This proclamation was issued in 1995, a while before many of the issues on the family had come to light. The gratitude I feel in knowing that God loves us enough to give us warning is inexpressibly, but I AM profoundly grateful.

To read more: http://www.lds.org/family/proclamation

No comments: