Pages

Monday, November 3, 2014

Love is a gift from God

Writing a thesis, and currently doing another project, about relationship formation, has made me look back at the progression of mine and Stuart's relationship. I just came across an e-mail that I sent to him, just ten days after we were officially dating, not counting Christmas break. In the e-mail I call him my "sweetheart". He has been that to me ever since.

Many people are surprised at how quickly relationships in the Mormon culture can move. Most of the people in my ward dated for anywhere between 1-7 months before they decided to get married. So, why does it go so quickly? Many people outside of our culture, and even within, would argue that it is simply hormones. The Latter-day Saints church holds their members to very high standards of morality, which includes sexual purity before marriage.

However, I believe there is something deeper. Like many other religions, those of the LDS faith believe in deep communion with God. Form that communion we receive revelation from God and also gifts of the spirit. One of those gifts is love. I fell in love quickly with my sweetheart. My siblings and parents also had fairly quick love stories. I am grateful for a Heavenly Father who bestows that love upon me, and upon my husband, even on days when I am grumpy. When we connect to God, He connects us, in His way, to others. Forever, and always, and no matter what.


No comments: