Pages

Monday, November 17, 2014

He gave me cookies

So in case you didn't know, I love sugar. It falls just shortly behind my family and friends on my list. I think most of my headaches come from a sugar withdrawal. This is probably really true, because I often use sugar as a coping mechanism. I know, it's not healthy, but baking and eating delicious cookies just fills my heart with warmth.

I remember having a conversation with a set of roommates, informing them that baking was a way that I relieved stress. (Probably more as a way of avoiding my necessary tasks as a student). A couple of days later I found myself up to my ears in baked goods. It was finals week.

And then, there is today. After receiving some poor feedback on a paper, feeling as if my thesis is never going to get off the ground, and wondering if I'll ever be able to get a job that doesn't require me to ask, "Would you like fries with that?", I was finished. Walking, home through a field of ice mines, I silently wished that I could go back to Georgia. Taking Stuart with me, of course. I wanted to be done with school responsibilities.

As I walked into the apartment, and took my backpack off, my shoulders still felt heavy. Almost 20 years in some kind of schooling, and I didn't know if I could last another minute. I searched through the cabinet for something to eat. Secretly, I was hoping that the cookie fairy would appear. Gooey, chocolatey. Maybe crackers would do?

Just then, and I literally mean just then, Stuart walked in from his class. In his hands was a foil wrapped plate.

"I ran into a neighbor of ours. Do you know Camille?" I shook my head, "no". She must go to the other LDS ward. "Well, I ran into her in the parking lot. She wanted to give cookies to neighbors."

I ended up crying as I ate those cookies. Heavenly Father gave me cookies. Things will work out.

Even if I don't have cookies, I always have a loving Heavenly Father who is telling others just what I need. I simply pray that I can also be the one He is able to work through.

So, remember to bake a batch of cookies tonight. You never know who might need them.

No comments: