Pages

Thursday, April 10, 2014

100 little Snickers bars

I see a Snickers bar very differently than most people. It all started back when I was fourteen or so. I had been having some not-so-good horseback-riding lessons, and this day had topped them all. I think I fell off twice, and couldn't get my horse to jump with good form. Because horseback-riding was such a big part of my life, and because of my status as a teenager, I was in sour mood. My dad picked me up from my lesson, and we stopped off to fill up the large and loud purple diesel truck. As we were pulling in, my dad handed me some cash and told me to go buy a candy bar. I stomped into the store, mad more at myself than anything else, and laid the cash on the counter in order to pay for the desired candy bar. Before I got to the truck I think I had already devoured half of the candy bar, covering my annoyance with chocolate- always a good option.

Now, you have to remember, I was fourteen. Not only was I enmeshed in the world of horseback-riding and piano, but I had begun to develop a love for nutrition and cooking.

I think my dad pointed it out. The candy bar I had so efficiently finished off was a king-sized snickers bar. There went any calorie counting I had been doing for the whole day. The laughter was well worth the extra calories though. The whole situation seemed comical, albeit a little annoying.

So nowadays, after long days at school or when I am disappointed with myself, I am not too surprised to find a Snickers bar in the mail a few days later. The responsibility of providing this support is slowly being passed to my Fiancé (first time I've used that word in a sentence in reference to Stuart!). But I'm beginning to realize life is full of little Snickers bars. Gifts from a Father to a daughter just to say, "I'm here and I'm thinking about you".

Today was a big-little snickers bar. If that's possible. It was a LONG morning. My usual 5 A.M. wake-up call came too early and I was unprepared for the emotional and physical exhaustion I felt. After a few hours of work I was still feeling unable to get it all done. But, Stuart got out of class early and stopped by just to say, "hi". It was a blessing for him- extra time to work on his big paper. But it was also a blessing for me. I just needed a hug. Someone to tell me that everything was going to be okay and that my Father was watching out for me.

I am so grateful for all the Snickers bars that my Father gives me.

No comments: