Pages

Tuesday, November 19, 2013

What I learned about relationships today: Communication

I realized something today. Sometimes, even when you do your best to communicate, it doesn't seem to work. Even when you mirror what the person is saying, explain yourself clearly, stay calm express your desire to understand their viewpoint, it still doesn't "work". So, here was my question: What is considered a successful communication? Joining the Gospel and secular research together, here is my answer: 

1. "The real challenge that we face in our communications with others is to condition our hearts to have Christlike feelings for all of Heavenly Father's children. When we develop this concern for the condition of others, we then will communicate with them as the Savior would. We will then warm the hearts of those who may be suffering in silence" - L. Lionel Kendrick 

We communicate out of love and concern for other people. We want to see them as God sees them and we want to better understand their point of view. We cannot control others' reaction to our communications, but we can try our best to effectively communicate our message so they will understand. We CAN control our reaction to their reaction. 

2. In our communication, there are filters that we have to pass through. Here is the sender-receiver communication model. 
                                                                            Source: Studyblue.com 
So, multiple things can happen. We can either not convey our message correctly because of an inability to use the right words, we can use the wrong body language or the other person can have a negative view of us that distorts the message we are sending. No wonder communication is so difficult. 

But there is hope! I am weak in my communication skills with others and it wouldn't surprise me if other people are too. Remember the promise give by a loving Father in heaven:


"I would show unto the world that afaith is things which arebhoped for and cnot seen; wherefore, dispute not because ye see not, for ye receive no dwitness until after the etrial of your faith... 
 And if men come unto me I will show unto them theiraweakness. I bgive unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my cgrace is sufficient for all men that dhumble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make eweak things become strong unto them."


No comments: