Pages

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Point me towards the temple

There seems to be something interesting that happens for a young, unmarried, LDS girl between the time she graduates from high-school, leaves young women's and enters relief society. We suddenly stop talking about the temple. It's a scary thing. Talking about a marriage that hasn't happened yet. It's scary being the girl (or woman) in relief society who says, "I'm not married... yet." It's scary to hope that you'll be married, because all of the sudden it makes you seem desperate. But, I have realized that there is hope. And it's okay to talk about your dreams. I had an institute teacher challenge us to write down an impossible goal. One of mine is to get married. Now, before all of you come back and say, "stop worrying about it" or "it's not impossible", I can tell you that I'm not worried about it and I know it's not impossible. Instead I've just realized I have to put in my own effort before I allow the Lord to bless me. Slight tangent, but now we're back on track. So, how do we encourage our 18-30 year old girls to still look to the temple, hope for a temple marriage and not get discouraged? There is something very special that I wear around my neck almost everyday.

My young women medallion reminds me of two things: A. The temple is the reason why. The whole book of Mormon is about the temple. Really, it is so amazing. Everything is preparing us to "make and keep sacred covenants". B. I know how to make and achieve goals. How do you think I got to graduate school? How do you think I get up in the morning to do yoga? How does anyone do anything of worth without a goal? So please, remember to point me towards the temple. I need to not only get there, but I need to stay there. I need to keep my covenants because I need my family for eternity. The Gospel really does fulfill the longings of the human soul and for that I am so grateful. 

No comments: